Rockfall mesh acts as a barrier for crumbling and falling rocks on cliff faces and open cuts.
The process requires high energy absorption mesh to be applied and securely fixed to the rock face by strong anchor points to prevent rocks and debris falling.
Experience is critical in correctly identifying the exact points of the rock for the anchors to ensure the process won’t cause further cracks or damage to the rock face, but will correctly secure the mesh in place.
Rockfall mesh can be applied efficiently, safely and quickly by the experienced GSS team in any terrain.
GSS uses the finest materials in rockfall stabilisation, MACCAFERRI™ and Geobrugg™, industry leaders in providing specialist engineering products for slope reinforcement and rockfall protection.
The main aspects of rockfall meshing can be categorised into active and passive systems.
- Active systems that limit the excessive movement once a rock detachment has occurred. The steel wire and steel cable meshes are anchored into a rock slope to provide stability and a solid foundation to prevent further damage.
- Passive systems are systems that intercept falling debris to control and direct the falling rocks away from potential damage. These include; mesh drapery systems and reinforced rockfall embankments.
Areas and environments that may require the use of high energy absorption rockfall mesh include:
- Road embankments
- Cliff faces
- Rail corridors
- Unstable slopes
- Mine high walls, open-cut
- Buildings being demolished in sections
In a similar fashion to rockfall mesh, rock catch fences/barriers provide stability and safety to areas prone to falling rocks.
Rock catch fences provide stand-alone protection whilst rockfall mesh needs to be molded to the rock and requires an experienced team in often very steep and dangerous terrains to install correctly and guarantee durability.
Rock catch fences are used when fall conditions are unpredictable but still require security and safety measures. It is most often used in:
- Road embankments
- Mining sites
- Rail cuttings
- Coastal environments
- Near buildings/infrastructure
Rockfall barriers are tested and designed through stringent rockfall analysis, assessed to withstand extreme impact in all weather conditions